This is part of an occasional series of reports on city-specific deals.
• Airport code: LAS
• Ranks among the busiest US airports: Number 6 (departing and arriving passengers). In June alone, the airport handled more than 4 million passengers.
• US airlines with Las Vegas as target city: Allegiant, Frontier, Southwest, Spirit.
• Other American airlines: Alaska, American, Delta, Hawaiian, JetBlue, Sun Country, United, Virgin America.
• International airlines: Aeromexico, Air Canada, British Airways, Condor, Copa, Edelweiss/Swiss, Eurowings, Hainan, Interjet, Korean Air, Norwegian, Thomas Cook, Virgin Atlantic, Volaris, Westjet. Note: You may fly with an international airline not listed here based on its alliance partnerships. For example, the Shannon deal mentioned below is considered an Aer Lingus flight, but JetBlue actually flies the first leg to Boston, where the Irish airline takes over.
What makes flying in/out of LAS a little different? Gambling. As one airport review put it, “The food choices are lackluster compared to what Vegas has to offer, but hey, they have slots!”
Exceptional offers from/to Las Vegas
The following rates were found last week using a flexible search tool which targets travel deals in September; all prices are round trip.
• Pittsburgh: $63
• Long Beach, CA: $77
• Calgary, Canada: $254
• Shannon, Ireland: $535
• Vegas: $84
• Vegas: $658
Offer all year round
One route that’s almost always a bargain is Las Vegas – Los Angeles (LAX), largely because it’s popular and competitive. On a weekday in September, for example, just over 100 flights leave LAS for LAX on seven different US airlines – and these airlines aren’t just competing for flyers, they’re competing for travelers who want save while driving (flights are approximately 1 hour 15 minutes; driving is 4-5 hours).
All this competition is good news during the holidays, as it means that higher holiday prices aren’t too high, which is often the case for short journeys between hub cities. Example:
• Flights in September: 85 USD
• Flights at Thanksgiving: $115